Saturday, November 28, 2009

Out of town guests...

The thought occurred to me when we were invited to attend a party...I should stay home with Michael and let David and the girls go. Why? Not sure that a nice semi-formal party is a good venue for our son. Maybe I'm not the best mom in the world that I can't control my son being bored. We brought toys, there would be food and cake. His sisters were there to play with. He lasted all of an hour and 1/2. Then he bolted for the door and ready to leave. After chasing him twice, I said "that's it, were going home." I grabbed the keys, headed to the car and chewed him out royally all the way back to the farm. Threatening that he would not get a birthday party because why should a 6 year old who can't contain himself for a few hours to honor someone else be honored with a party for himself?

Is this too rough? How about he doesn't get to go to the next birthday party for his friends? What if instead, I begin a social blitz? What if I take him to every event expose him to situations that he HAS to adapt too and can't run away from? I have done a disservice to our children by keeping them at home for so many events because I didn't want the hassle and commotion that comes along with bringing your children. I don't enjoy the embarrassment when they are rude or act up during an event. David never really has been one to encourage taking the children to venues either. So, did we screw this up? And can this be rectified this late in the game?

I'm embarrassed that I'm being so candid, but I can't be the only parent who feels this way. I'm just saying it out loud for the world to hear.

I do love my kids. I love our time at home, playing games and talking and snuggling. Sometimes, when we venture out, it's not too bad and we're surprised. I can tell that Michael is maturing...I just can't understand why none of our kids are as outgoing and social as we are, or were growing up. I loved parties and always enjoyed being around my parents and their friends. I was stuck most of the time making up games and hanging out by myself at these gatherings. Not a lot of kids my age to play with. I'm sure I annoyed my parents with I'm bored can we go? I'm hungry, what can I do? Frankly, my parents didn't give in and they ignored me. I didn't want to be like that with our kids. I wanted them to know I care about their feelings and wants and needs. Well, maybe I've just given them too much.

Well, maybe I'm just too tired to really think this through. Any thoughts from anyone else? Besides the suggestion that I might need counseling?

No comments: